Tuesday, December 15, 2009

solving a problem

One of the most frustrating problems at our house seems like a simple one to solve but it isn't. While the kids are gone at school I clean like crazy. They always walk in to a spotless house. But the second they walk in the door noone else would know it. Every day I pick my kids up from school and they walk in and drop all of their stuff -shoes, back packs, instruments, etc. right in the entry way. I remind them to put it all away, but because I have to go straight down to my music studio and start teaching every day......they get distracted and often leave their stuff right there in front of the door. They even have a place to keep all of it nice and tidy and ready for the next morning, but then they would have to make an effort....it's apparently much easier to drop it on the floor. And they must be so tired after school since to make 5 extra steps is so difficult for them.

I've tried a few different things to get them to put their things away and it lasts for a little while....but then after a few days we're right back to a pile of stuff every day in the entry way. It's a really classy way to greet people when they come to our door especially now that it's winter and there's coats, gloves, hats, boots, etc. and the pile is almost to the ceiling. GRRRRRR!

So yesterday after I was done teaching I came upstairs and there was a huge pile there. I asked everyone 3 times to get their stuff and put it away while I was getting dinner ready. I didn't follow up with it so after dinner it was still there. I quietly picked it all up and hid it in my shower. It was a lot of stuff......a violin, 3 coats, 2 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of shoes, 3 back packs, and a homework folder. They didn't even notice!

It was so funny this morning watching them scramble looking for their things. Dave and I just quietly went about our business....making breakfast, getting scriptures out, fixing hair, etc. Finally we talked to them. This time they were able to get their things back with just a hug and an apology, but if I ever have to pick their stuff up again they will either pay me (I'm not a maid!) or do a job for it.

Next time I will hide it in the big garbage outside and they'll have to climb in and fish it out.

good things:
clean entryways
making Christmas cookies
sunshine -even though it's still cold

11 comments:

Hollie Rae Keller said...

This is so funny! My mom did the same thing for us - she took an extra large pillow case and called it 'the gunny bag' and when we'd leave stuff out, she put it all in 'the gunny bag' and we would have to pay her for each item if we wanted our things back. Worked like a charm!

Jeppsen's said...

we have that problem too I hate being a maid. i just threatened them this morning of putting their things in a bag for a week. I think we all have the same good idea. I hope it works for you. They will only fish it out of the garbage once. :)

Heidi said...

I remember my mom getting frustrated with us for the very same thing - and now I do with my kids, even though the coat rack is only 2 steps away from the front entry. Sometimes they even walk past the coat rack and then go dump their stuff in the middle of the family room. I like the idea of making them pay with $ or chores to get their stuff back. I would just have to make sure it happens before they're rushing out the door the next morning to run to the bus stop. Jacob would probably just choose to go without a coat. I think he'd rather be cold and unprepared at school then give up his money!

Marley Family said...

We have that problem at our house too. I'm so sick of picking up 10 times a day. I need a maid.

Me said...

A very good Love and Logic way of handling thing!!! Hope they "get" it now :)

Amishka said...

Great Idea!! I don't know anyone who doesn't have that problem. It'd be nice to be able to hire a maid until your youngest child is oh 18 or so. Wouldn't that take so much stress out of a mothers life.

Aceneth Warner said...

I love that song and the video, thanks for sharing!!!

Jeron & Brook said...

It is so nice to know I'm not the only one who has this problem! I think I may try taking it away and making them earn it back! I think I have said (or screamed) I'm not a mom a million times!

The Ridings said...

Yeah!!! I love creative parenting.

Tamara said...

That's hilarious. I've actually done the same thing and they've had to do a job to earn their backpacks, coats, etc. back. It often looks like a tornado went through our house when they come home from school. :o)

MamaBug said...

Good for you!