Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter festivities

During the girl's last week of Spring Break we had lots of fun..... we made egg decorations (with so much glitter - my table will never be the same!), plant heads, and these yummy nests.  We also dyed about 60 eggs (good thing we all love hard boiled eggs!) 

My girls went back to school today, so I'm glad we spent lots of good time together!



For Easter this year we decided to do something a little healthier.
We still did an Easter egg hunt, but the kids each only got about 5 pieces of candy.

Akayla was at MORP so she didn't get a basket until later.

We also went to "A Walk With Christ" on Saturday at a local LDS church.  It was beautifully done, and a lovely way to remember our Savior's life and the reason we celebrate Easter.


Sunday morning I decided to read the account of the Savior's last week in the New Testament.
I had 2 thoughts that I shared later with my kids......

1) Before Christ suffers in the garden he says "Oh my Father, if it be possible let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as thou wilt."

Every time I'm about to give birth to one of my babies I feel the same way. 
 I know the pain that's coming and I don't want to experience that pain.

But because I'm so anxious to hold my precious baby, and because I want them to experience this life 
and come to our family - I'm willing to go through that pain. 

The Savior was willing to experience that pain (and I know it was so much worse than child birth) for us.  He loves us so much that He would do anything.  
He wants each one of us to be together after this life, and He wants our happiness.  

2) After Christ was resurrected some of the apostles saw Him, but somehow Thomas missed it.  He didn't believe.  He said he wouldn't believe unless he had the chance to see the nail prints for himself.  When the Savior does show himself to Thomas and finally Thomas believes, the Savior says "Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed:  blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed".  

In our home we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, and we preach of Christ because we want our children to know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins.  I know He is the only way to eternal life.  If not for His sacrifice we would be lost.  We wouldn't have a chance to be an eternal family.  There is NO other way.  But it doesn't matter how many times I tell my kids.  They have to come to know for themselves.  Yesterday I realized how very personal the atonement is.  

Jesus Christ died for ME.  He suffered for ME.  Because of HIM I will live again.  Someday I will be able to kneel at His feet and feel the prints in His hands.....but I will not know any more then than I know now that HE LIVES!  



Our missionaries had asked if they could spend Easter with us, so Sunday after church they came over and spent the afternoon/evening with us.

They sat around playing and talking with the kids, and we ate a yummy dinner outside (oh glorious spring!).

Then we went down to our theater room and watched "To This End Was I Born".  Dave shared some thoughts.  I shared some thoughts, and then we asked the missionaries to share their thoughts.  Our favorite missionary (Elder Anderson) was weeping as he talked about the Savior.  It was really sweet and I think it was the best part of our Easter.

We were so glad we could share our Easter Sunday with the missionaries who have to be far away from their families.


good things:
eternal families
deliciously sweet strawberries
missionaries trying to remember ALL of our daughter's names!


1 comment:

Carissa J said...

Those nest cookies look YUMMY (they're no-bake cookies, right?)! Did you know a bird made a nest and laid eggs in our front door wreath? Crazy, huh? Anyway, sounds like you guys had a fun Spring Break and Easter :)