Saturday, April 12, 2008

Coconut Lovers Unite!

I love coconut in anything. Macaroons, Almond Joy candy bars, German Chocolate Cake, and especially toasted on ice cream. These were calling my name at the store yesterday. I will try really hard to only eat one a day. They are SOOOOO good (and so bad for you!)

I discovered these last year. Delicious!

These are also amazing if you are a coconut lover!


GERMAN CHOCOLOATE COCONUT BARS
• 1 pkg. (18.25 oz.) German chocolate cake mix
• 1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
• 1 large egg, lightly beaten
• 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened Condensed milk
• 1 large egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 1/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut, divided
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 1 cup (6 oz.) Nestle swirl Semi-Sweet & Premier White Morsels, divided

Directions:
PREHEAT oven to 350° F.

POUR cake mix into large bowl; cut in butter and lightly beaten egg with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Press onto bottom of ungreased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Combine sweetened condensed milk, egg and vanilla extract in medium bowl; beat until well combined. Stir in 1 cup coconut, nuts and 1/2 cup Swirled Morsels. Spread mixture evenly over base; sprinkle with remaining coconut and Swirled Morsels. Lightly press down morsels.

BAKE for 30 to 32 minutes or until center is almost set. Center will firm when cool. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

Good things:
Coconut
Coconut and chocolate
Ice Cream with coconut
Something else to cheer me up on a grumpy day

5 comments:

Genelle said...

Yes! I'm the first comment! Finally! Well, you're a chip off the old block of Dad. But, you know, who DOESN"T love coconut? I think I'll have to pass those coconut bars up sadly... (sigh) Mom won't let this "No S diet" slip by so quickly. Thanks a lot, Ang.

Jenny-ology said...

Oh, my mouth is SOOO watering right now! I love Raffeolos- I used to buy them one (or two) at a time in the BYU bookstore, but haven't had much luck finding them locally. It is probably for the best.
Almond joys are my favorite- have you tried the almond joy cookies? mmm.
I had no idea they had coconut kisses. I never thought of putting coconut into german choc cake, but, I am so excited about trying this recipe.

PS I updated my belly rubbing post and added more stories plus other stuff below that post. (I love it that you think I am funny- thanks for being so nice to me).

JAMIE said...

I found something we don't have in common...so don't hate me, but I am not a coconut fan. Not really sure why...I didn't have a lot of it growing up.

This is Us! said...

Oh my gosh, I'm dying looking at those treats....coconut kisses??? I had NO idea!! Coconut toasted on ice cream is my fave too. I'm going to make those brownies NOW.
PS. I have a great coconut/pineapple cake recipe if you're interested....Clay doesn't do coconut (or pineapple) so well, so when I make it, it's all mine!

Carissa J said...

I love coconut!! Delicious... I would have to say my favorite coconut treat is fried ice cream. The Mayan has a pretty good fried ice cream dessert. I wish I knew how to make it....
We just barely had the german chocolate cake for dad's birthday. Mom tried to talk him into something more "healthy" but he would not be deterred! Good ole dad!