Thursday, April 10, 2008

The time has come....

I knew it would, but it doesn't make me less sad. I am now called "Mom" by my oldest baby. I have been mommy to her for almost 13 years. I have noticed though that for the past couple of months I have become mom. It means she's growing up and starting to cut the apron strings a bit. It means she's becoming more independent and won't need me for all the little things any more. It means that after next year she'll be in high school. It means that in 5 more years she'll be walking out the door. It's a good thing, but it still makes me a little sad.

Akayla - April 19, 1995
(one-day old) The day we brought her home from the hospital

Good things:
Sweet babies
Being a mom
I still get 5 more years

5 comments:

The Ridings said...

At least you made it 13 years! I don't think any of mine made it past 6 or 7. Livvie even slips a Mom in every once in a while.

JAMIE said...

I am so emotional lately...for some reason this made me cry....Too fast, it all goes by way too fast!

Jenny-ology said...

It looks like Akayla and Jessica, my second are only a few months apart. She actually called me mom for several years, but when she started junior high, she started calling me mommy again. thanks for the reminder to cherish this time.

Genelle said...

Oh crap, I need to step it up a little... I'm the fourth comment. GEEZ!

This is so depressing......... not about Akayla, about me! I still call Mom "Mama" all the time!!!!!! I'm less mature than Akayla! I think I'll go wallow in self pity...
Just kidding.

Well Ang, it happens to everyone. (Except me, apparently) But, there are plenty worse things that could happen... she could start arguing with you and Dave (Like Evan) or steal your credit card and spend it on stupid stuff (Like Foster) or even fool around all day on the computer (like me)
...Trust me, Ang. You'll be alright.
P.S. Tell Akayla to stop growing up so fast.

Genelle said...

Mom said.... (on Genelle's link) Look at how beautiful Akayla was, it brings back memories of her as a baby, toddler, and little girl. She is still beautiful, inside and out. It is going too fast for me too. It's bad enough when your children grow up, but your grandchildren are not! supposed to grow up!!