Thursday, June 12, 2008

2 birthdays

Tanner and Elli have birthdays two days apart. I still remember hoping I wouldn't have Elli on Tanner's birthday last year. She was due that day, but I wanted the kids to be able to finish the school year and then have the baby.........luckily she waited!

For Tanner's birthday he wanted to go on a family hike and have a picnic - a perfect Saturday activity. We planned on having a campfire and eating s'mores also but it was freezing cold and raining, so we did that the next day. Even though it was cold the hike was really nice. Tanner got to be the leader and he found some great spots to explore in. We ate our picnic in the car, but it was fun anyway! I forgot the camera.......typical! The only picture we got was of the cake which is supposed to be like a campfire....what do you think it looks like? Definitely not my best cake, but it tasted all right!

Tanner got clothes, a model space ship and an HO train set. He has been setting up a whole town for his train and enjoying it so much! He has to wait for school to end to work on his model from grandma! I can't believe Tanner is 10! He is getting so grown up and responsible. He has such a fun and creative personality. LOVE THAT KID!


Elli's 1st birthday was Monday. Unfortunately I had to start teaching string camp, so it was a little rough for Elli. She had to stay home with Aunt Genelle and her 2 big sisters. I worried so much that she would cry the whole time, but luckily Genelle figured out pretty fast that Elli loves being outside so whenever she got fussy they all went on a walk and put Elli in the stroller.

We decided Elli didn't need any more toys, and since she's still a baby and doesn't even notice..... she got lots of clothes!

Of course we got lots of pictures of Elli enjoying her first taste of chocolate. She wasn't shy at all - she just dug right in! She was totally wired for the next hour and I worried that I wouldn't ever get her to go to sleep. She was acting drunk or something from all that sugar!


Silly silly girl!!!

We love our two birthday kids! Our family wouldn't be the same without them.

good things:

chocolate birthday cake

celebrating the birth of two of our favorite people

hiking in the rain (really!)

8 comments:

Genelle said...

It seems like you have a tendency to have kids with birthdays only 2 days apart from each other. (Akayla and Adri)
But yeah, I wish I could've been there for Tanner's B-day! At least I got cake! (Ha! That's the only reason why I go to Birthday parties!)
I can't believe Elli is One! I'm so excited! She's so cute!
I'm glad I was born into such a great family. (Not yours, but I'm your SISTER, so I was blessed with such a great extended family.)

Erin said...

So fun! I think the cake looks great. I love to do the birthday cakes for the kids and get a little creative. It sounds like you guys do lots of fun stuff that's definitely frugal. I need to take some of the ideas b/c half the time we just don't do anything and I need to change that. Thanks for the fun ideas! By the way, you have an absolutely adorable family.

The Ridings said...

I love birthdays. It is the 1 day each year I can totally focus on one child which is difficult the resy of the year. I agree why spend money on toys for a 1 year old when it is so much fun dressing them up!

This is Us! said...

Hey, I love the cake! I also admire that you were actually HAPPY when Ellie was born after her due date. I would not have had that same sweet attitude!

Ang said...

Eve,
I'm used to it - I've never gone into labor myself so all my babies are late. I actually get to the point that although I'm excited to have my baby I never feel completely ready!

julie said...

The pictures of Ellie are hilarious! What a cutie, I love the one of her on the sidewalk also.

Carissa J said...

That's fun! I'm glad I got to be there for a small portion of Tanner's b-day. Ellie is such a HAM! You'd think she'd be shy because she needs to be near you all the time but HECK NO! She loves the spotlight. It will be fun to see how her personality turns out in the long run!

Tamara said...

Love the campfire cake Ang - you are a gourmet cake artist!!! Tanner and Michael are definitely soul mates!

I can't believe your little baby Ellie is already 1! Hilarious photos of her eating the cake. :o)