Saturday, June 21, 2008

SummerStrings, Piano Institute and Scout Camp

SUMMERSTRINGS!!
Even though teaching at the string camp for two weeks was tough, I loved being able to do it. I had a great group of kids that I was working with, and it made me so happy when they learned things and enjoyed doing it! One of my girls was planning on quitting next year but after camp she said she was going to take orchestra next year because she had so much fun! I LOVE LOVE LOVE playing in string quartets and orchestras, and it made me so happy when my own daughters had such a good time doing it.

The final concert was on Friday and the kids did such a great job. I was really impressed, especially because I didn't start doing this kind of stuff until middle school, but we had kids there in 3rd and 4th grade! Our orchestra director was a funny Korean who has been directing in Chicago and Miami. He is amazing, and we were so fortunate to have him come and work with the kids.

I was asked to teach again next year, and though it was challenging at times I said I would love to. I feel so happy sharing my talents and my love for music with kids. The hefty paycheck was nice too!


These are my viola students minus a few -- they were great kids!!!



This is Adriana and her best friend Jane (who is also my student). They had a lot of fun together (almost too much - their teacher had to keep separating them and asking them not to talk!).

Corina LOVED playing in the orchestra and now she wants to play in the youth orchestra next year -- I'm so happy! She would never do it before now.

PIANO INSTITUTE!!!
Akayla had originally started out going to string camp, but she ended up getting a full tuition scholarship to the piano institute. She stayed in the dorms and had an intense week of studying and playing. She made some great new friends that I'm sure she will keep in touch with. I was able to go to the final concert and it was very impressive. Only advanced players could attend and they only took 26 students. The two directors are world renowned pianists. What a great opportunity!! When she got home she ran inside to hug her little sisters (Dave and Tanner were already gone) and started crying. She was so happy to be home! It made me happy because she's at an age where friends are so important, but I'm so glad she loves being at home and misses her family!


SCOUT CAMP!!!



Tanner is a Webelos now, which means he gets to go on overnight camps now. His first one was this weekend and he had a great time. We don't have a working webelos group in our ward so Dave and another dad took their boys. Tanner passed off tons of things and learned a lot. His favorite was the bb guns and the archery. He has more about it on his own blog : http://tannerf.blogspot.com/

While they were gone we had a girl party. We rented a couple of fun movies and got treats and yummy food. We all sat on my bed and enjoyed our time together! I told Dave that since Tanner gets to go on campouts with his dad all by himself I thought it would only be fair if I got to take each girl to a hotel for the next 6 weekends. He didn't really like that idea -- I sure do!

good things:
string camp is done - now summer can really begin!
getting paid for a rewarding job
my whole family home in their own beds tonight

5 comments:

Erin said...

I love music and I think it's awesome how involved you are. I need to get a little more into it, that's for sure. I'm glad that you enjoyed teaching.

Erin said...

I forgot...I hope Tanner enjoyed scout camp. Tank just did it too and LOVED it!!! It was so much fun for him. Thank goodness for scouts.

Genelle said...

Ah yes, the hectic camping is over now, huh? I'm so glad Akayla had such a great time at piano institute! She still learning "Anne of Green Gables" too? She better, because we're totally doing a duet when I see her next!!
What a fun experience.
Tanner has quite the poses though! He looks like a pro! I'm glad he got to go to Scout camp. (Even though I'm sure Girls' camp is much, much better)
Lastly, I just gotta say...
WHY'D YOU HAVE TO WAIT TILL AFTER I LEFT TO DO GIRL'S NIGHT?!?!
I am so chapped! (ha ha j/k!)
I'm glad everyone had a good time!

Carissa J said...

That's awesome, Ang! It looks like you guys are having tons of fun! I wish you guys lived closer... then you could teach ME lessons :)

julie said...

I'm glad it was such a good experience for you to be involved in the string camp. I'm sure you learned as much as the kids. It is also awesome that Akayla was involved in the piano camp and received a scholarship. I think she plays beautifully and artistically. Tanner is getting pretty grown-up to be going to an overnight camp...and shooting at targets. That's great. And your girl's night sounds like fun. Genelle get's her own girl's night...I mean week, when we go to South Dakota. It won't be girl's only, but it will be girl only. She'll be the only kid with us! I think she will enjoy it though. Anyway, your kids are having some great experiences, all stepping stones to a great adult life. Love, M.