Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back to School


Annalisa - 1st grade
Adriana - 3rd grade
Tanner - 5th grade
Corina - 7th grade
Akayla - 8th grade

Today was the first day of school. Everyone was very excited - even Tanner! Adriana and Annalisa have never been to school before, so this was an especially exciting day for them! The Academy is the best school for so many reasons - I love the uniform policy (as you can see it's not super strict...solid colors in navy, burgundy, white and tan and no logos, pictures, or denim). I love that girls can't wear makeup (too distracting for the boys!). I love the atmosphere - very kind and respectful among the students. I love the curriculum. I love that all 5 of my kids can be in the same school. I love that they get P.E., Spanish, Music, Science, Computers, and History EVERY DAY!!! I love that the principal knows each child by name and is in the classrooms every day. I love that there are 3 teachers in each classroom, the class sizes are very small, and there's only one class per grade. I could go on and on.....
I brought the kids to school and stayed to help the two younger girls. I figured they'd be scared and not know what to do. I didn't have to stay long. The girls both told me to go home - they were fine! I was worried that I would regret putting them all in school. Homeschooling has been such a huge part of our lives for the past 9 years, but as I drove home I felt so at peace. I know we made the right decision. I'm so happy that they get the chance to go to school and I know they'll love it! It has been very quiet around here. I've already cleaned the house, done some laundry, and worked on some projects - and there's only two little girls to make messes behind me! It has been a long time (12 years probably) since I've only had 2 kids at home. We're gonna have some fun!!! I will probably actually have more quality time with the school kids since I'll be able to get most things done while they're at school!

Good things:
first day of school
new teachers and friends
school supplies
time for my youngest babies

12 comments:

Katie said...

Angela,
That's awesome you have such a great school for your kids. I'm assuming its a private school? Glad all the kids were excited to start up school. You have such a cute family!

Gina Hallam said...

I am so gealous and happy for you at the same time :) This world needs more good schools like that academy. I'm so sad that Aaron and Brandon...even the grade school boys lose so many wonderful enriching activities because of the curriculum :( I'm so glad that I can homeschool Josh and let him get all of those things. I'm even contemplating homeschooling Kyler, it depends on where we end up.

Maybe we'll be blessed to have an academy near where we move to? hmmmm....that would be a HUGE Blessing

Carissa J said...

They all look so grown up :(

Erin said...

I don't know how you do it. Tank is in 4th grade and I HATE it! How do you do it with older ones?

Ang said...

I know Erin - it's so crazy that they're getting so grown up! Akayla will be in high school next year. It's exciting, but sad too. It goes way too fast.

The Ridings said...

I still remember visiting our parents ward when Jordan and Akayla were babies! The saying is true, TIME FLYS!!

Genelle said...

Um... yay?!?
Am I supposed to be HAPPY that my neices and nephew are growing up right before my eyes? They're like my brother and sisters! Next thing you know, they'll be heading off to college, and getting married, and having THEIR OWN KIDS! I can't take it! *wahhhh! wahhhhh!*
Ok, sorry. I'm back. *weary smile* I'm glad they get the opportunity too. It's always nice to go to school, especially when they've got Mr. C-dibaca? as the principal! I wish I could go to a cool academy like that!
Lucky kids!

P.S. Your kids look cute, as always. I bet they were the envy of the entire school... and the parents!

Tamara said...

What an exciting day!!! Everyone looks so pretty/handsome all dressed up for school. "The Academy" sounds like a wonderful school too. I am amazed that you home-schooled for so many years - wow!

Vonnie said...

Hi Angela, We missed you at our parties. Wish you could have come to Arizona with your mom & sisters. It was fun to be around Carissa & Genelle. They are both fun to hang out with. Best wishes on a fabulous school year. Life is good.

Vonnie said...

Hi Angela, We missed you at our parties. Wish you could have come to Arizona with your mom & sisters. It was fun to be around Carissa & Genelle. They are both fun to hang out with. Best wishes on a fabulous school year. Life is good.

Linda Gibbs said...

What good looking kids! I am having a hard time thinking my babies are going to Kindergarten. Didn't I just come home from China and Meg was 14 months old, and Grace 16 months old? Really! Didn't I?? KyLeigh is 14 and starting HS!! Is that nuts?

Stephen and Amanda said...

Hi Ang, I didn't realize that you had homeschooled your kids. It seems like now that I'm thinking about it I knew it, but that I didn't. It's kind of one of those weird facts that you think you knew but you think you didn't. Whatever! I just have to say though my hats off to you that you did homeschool them for all those years. That is so great. I'm excited for all of you that your so at peace with your decision and that it will be good for your school kids, the two at home, for you to get things done and then time that you will have that is spent with the kids. I think its great! I'm excited for you guys. I'm sad you weren't able to make it to AZ. Hopefully we'll see you at some point in the near future. Your kids are adorbale and I hope the year goes wonderful for you! Good Luck! :)