Thursday, September 10, 2009

retiring the colors


Tanner age 11

Tonight I got to go to Tanner's first court of honor as a boy scout. He earned some awards, and I smiled at how grown up he seemed though he is the shortest boy there. Dave keeps assuring me he will grow since he was also the shortest until about 9th or 10th grade. Tanner had some girls taking pictures of him on their phone, and they told him it was because he was so short. He was very embarrassed until he found out they also thought he was really hot!

We had an honor trail which lead to a fire burning outside. They had a ceremony and retired 4 American flags. I'm a big baby. I loved watching my son act like a scout. They had no idea what they were doing was sacred, but they treated it with reverence and respect. They'll understand someday and have those special feelings in their hearts for their country and flag....because of scouting.

I believe in scouting. I didn't always have such strong feelings for the scouting program. When we first moved to Pocatello they put me in as the cubs den leader. My first though was UGH!! My son was 7- nearly 8, and he was a little terror. I didn't get that kid at all! (You wonder why I have 6 girls?!!!) I went to my first training meeting and watched a little video clip that turned a light bulb on in my brain. The Lord knew that I needed to understand my son and build a better relationship with him. I loved working with the scouts. It was totally enlightening! My son wasn't a weirdo!! It was even more fun when Tanner came in and I got to have him in my den until I was released.

Several of my cubs were there. One of them just finished his eagle project. Another one (who never comes to church, but loves scouts), received his second and first class tonight. They are all great boys! It's an inspired program. It makes men out of boys. Now I've just got to get Tanner busy.....he's got a long way to go before Eagle Scout!

good things:
flag ceremonies
beautiful clear nights
dedicated scout leaders

4 comments:

Heidi said...

You make me excited to see Jacob turn 8 and start scouts. Maybe when he starts I'll become converted. The kids grow up too fast don't they! Tanner looks so handsome and grown up.
Heidi

Me said...

Hey Ang--

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Glad you were able to get to it. Not sure why I haven't commented until now. I have been "peaking" at your blog for a while :) Still can't believe you're going to have 8 kids. Haven't heard of that book you talked about before either...will have to look it up!

Mary P.

Marley Family said...

Tanner is such a great kid!

Unknown said...

What a cute boy! I too had to learn more about the scouting program to fully appreciate it. I have never worked in scouts yet, so I am still trying to figure everything out. So I have a new neighbor who moved in across from me. I went and visited her with the RS last night and come to find out she graduated with us. I didn't know her well, but I remember her. Her name is Angela Udy. (her maiden name) Funny how many of us live up here. I don't know if you knew her, just wanted to let you know. Have a great day!