Tuesday, May 28, 2013

complications

I admit when I first found out I was pregnant I laughed and then I cried.

I will always be happy to add another child to our family, but pregnancy is hard and I've done it so many times.

BUT..... I have really fallen in love with this baby, and I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be pregnant again and bring another child into this world.

Our ultrasound revealed a few little complications.

It may just be that the baby was in a difficult position, or it may be that he needs more time to develop and is perfectly fine.

We have another ultrasound in a few weeks, but this is what we know at this point....

The baby has cysts on his brain - very common actually, but if there are other problems they suspect trisomy (down syndrome, or other syndromes).  They also had trouble detecting heart valves.  This leads them to consider down sydrome since a very high percentage of down syndrome babies have heart defects.

We are totally ok with having a down syndrome child - in fact we would see it as a blessing.  Children with down syndrome are very special, and though there are difficulties we would love him so much.

I worry of course that it could be something else much worse (I really need to stay off the internet), or that my baby won't survive.

The thought of going through labor (the most painful and difficult thing I've ever had to do, but I get through it because I know I'll get to have my baby!) , and then not getting to take a baby home would be much harder than I think I can bear.

These thoughts have consumed me the past few weeks, and it has been difficult to concentrate on other things.

Prayers, fasting, and a very special priesthood blessing have helped me feel at peace with whatever the outcome may be.

Just have to keep having faith!


good things:
the smell of rain
Downton Abbey
peanut butter toast

3 comments:

Anna Crowe said...

<3 <3 <3 !!!!!!!

MamaBug said...

Angela, my heart goes out to you. I know first hand how gut wrenching it can be when a "routine" ultrasound is anything but routine. At a 18-week ultrasound we found out that our baby girl had both cystic hygroma and hydropsy, common complications on what turned out to be Turner's Syndrome (only one X chromosome instead of two or an X,Y pair for a boy). We were given a grim prognosis and the option to terminate the pregnancy, which was never a real option. We prayed and prayed and prayed until we really meant it when we said "Thy will be done." We would gladly have accepted all the challenges that would have come from raising her. But, ultimately, the Lord decided that she was too perfect to stay with us. She got the body she needed and then she went home. She was stillborn at 24 weeks.

I don't know what the Lord has in store for you or your sweet baby. I do know that no matter how things turn out for you, that the Lord loves you very much. He trusts that you will be able to make it through this challenge with your testimony intact and with an even greater understanding of His love for you. You have my prayers and my listening ear if ever you should need it.

Sending all my love,
Wendy

frateslm said...

You are certainly in my prayers... We never know really what's ahead, no guarantees are there? I know you are all strong in faith & can find joy whatever the will of the Lord brings your way. Sending lots of love your way, L