Monday, December 8, 2008

blogging bum!

I have been a terrible blogger lately.
I will get better.....maybe.

Here's the shorter version of our Thanksgiving Week.....

Thursday November 20 - the kids and I picked Akayla up from clogging at 9:00 p.m. and drove to Utah. We dropped Tanner and younger off at grandma's (they were all asleep) and Akayla, Corina & I went to watch the midnight opening of Twilight with all the other crazy Twi-hards. We missed some of the earlier craziness/contests, but we were just in time to see all the previews and the movie. I know some have been disappointed by the movie, but we all LOVED it!!! There were a few things that bothered me (I won't go into details), but the 2nd time was perfect.

We also found out that my brother had finally proposed to his lovely girlfriend Erin at her school that day!! HOORAY! They didn't set a date until Thanksgiving day........they are getting married on December 23rd!!!!

Friday thru Tuesday -- Shopping, staying up late, McDonalds, the Peppermint Place, Elli's pictures taken at Kiddie Kandids, eating good food, movies, making jam and cards with the sisters, lots of talking, and preparing for Thanksgiving!



Wednesday -- Dave took a shuttle down to SL and we got to pick him up - it was a long week (almost) without him!



Thursday -- Everyone was home except Foster who is on his mission. It's been a few years since we've had that. Most years mom (and I - but mostly mom) gets stuck in the kitchen and she makes so much on her own. This year she had a sign-up and everyone had to bring a couple of things. Dallin & Jamie brought a huge relish tray that everyone hovered around until it was practically licked clean. Jamie also made a yummy salad. It was so fun to get to know her and her sweet kids! Akayla, Corina & Tanner loved having some kids their age to hang out with. Evan's fiance, Erin, made yummy peach pies and a sweet potato casserole that EVERYONE loved. We have a new tradion - it was way better than the marshmallow yam stuff! Brandon's wife, Ayrial, made a salad that everyone thought was a big bowl of dressing - it was pretty funny. Once they tried it though they rushed back for another helping. She also brought a pumpkin pie. I got to make the rolls and the mashed potatoes (we peeled 30 potatoes - you should have seen the pile!!!), and Carissa made the stuffing and brought a pumpkin pie. It was fun to try some new things, and it's soooooooooo great that my siblings are finally getting married and starting their families! Amora even spent the night with Mariah. They are so cute together. They had fun "playing" the Play Station together!



This was the year without a turkey though..............the thingy popped up, but the darn thing wasn't done and everything else was. Luckily my dad had talked my mom into getting a ham and a turkey breast. There was plenty of food without the darn turkey!



Friday -- Never done it before, but my mom and I decided to experience Black Friday in all its glory. We got up and made it to Joanne's at 4:34 a.m. We took turns standing in line and sleeping in the car with the heater on! When the store opened at 6:00 we were some of the very first to pick up our $1.99 flannel and our $2.99 fleece. What we didn't know is that you are supposed to pick up a number at the cutting table. So, at about 6:30 we got our number, and 2 hours later we were still way down the list. People had 3 shopping carts full of fabric to be cut. We decided mom should go to another store to get the stuff we needed there. I finally got all of our stuff cut and checked out at 9:15 and I waited and waited some more for mom to come pick me up. She finally made it out of the other store at 10:45. I can't believe how long I stood in lines that day! We saved a lot of money, but was it worth it? My husband would say NO WAY!!! We'll see if mom or I ever decide to do that again!

Friday was also Dave's birthday. After the whole shopping thing I came home, took a shower and a nap. When I woke up (sort of) Dave and I went to Cafe Rio - one of our favorite restaurants that isn't in Idaho. Then we went to see Twilight. Dave liked it, and I loved it even better. It was fun to have some time alone.

Since our kids have never seen the lights on temple square and that was a tradition I grew up with, we decided to take them on Friday night. Akayla was at Twilight with my sisters so she missed out, but the rest of us had a great time. It was pretty crowded since it was the first weekend, but it was so beautiful! We tried to take pictures, but none of them turned out really great......I'm still planning on posting them hopefully tomorrow. I'm so glad we went!

When we got back mom had prepared a yummy dinner, and had even made Better than _________ (insert whatever you want here) cake.

So, aren't you glad that was the shorter version?!!!!! It was a great week. I was so glad to see my family - it had been a long time. We live closer now, but it's still hard to get home these days - maybe now that gas is down it will be easier!

good things:
"borrowing" the church's chairs for our Thanksgiving feast
Christmas music
getting stuffed
extended families

7 comments:

Gina Hallam said...

WOW!!! Busy week. It sounds like you had a great week though :) That's what makes such wonderful memories. It would be so fun to have a Thanksgiving with so much family around :) I look forward to those days...but for now I will enjoy our family time too :) Traditions are wonderful as well :)

Anonymous said...

Holy Cow! What a marathon week! It sounded like you had a fun time though. I did Black Friday one year. It was with my sister. All I can say is that I experienced it. I have no desire to do that again. I'm with Dave on that one, NOT WORTH IT!
Sooooo you liked Twilight! I did too. I have never heard so much giggling at a movie in my whole life! I want to go see it again before it leaves the theater. Everyone I talk to that has seen it twice has said it is better the second time. I think the movies to follow will be better than this one. I cant believe you got Dave to go! Good for you! I would never get Bill to go in a million years!!!

Erin said...

It sounds like you had an amazing time with all your family. It's nice to have all those siblings to run around and have fun with. I hope my kids love it as much as you guys seem to.

Brandon Johnson said...

I can't believe you don't have Café Rio in Idaho.. Actually, we like Bajio better (similar to Café Rio), so if you ever get the chance, you need to try it. Much, much better food!! Looking forward to seeing your pictures of the lights at Temple Square.

Ang said...

Bro - we have Bajio here, but their salad is not even close to being as good as Cafe Rio. I've never tried anything else there though....any suggestions?

Brandon Johnson said...

I'm surprised you don't like the salad at Bajio, I love it! I think the rice and especially the tortillas are SO much better than Café Rio... My favorite menu item is the chimichanga though! Now I'm hungry... :)

Genelle said...

Ang, I'm finally back! Sorry it's taken so long to post comments. Well, it really was a great week with you guys here. If there wasn't such a big mess to clean up, we'd want you to come LIVE down here! Ha Ha. It sounds like you guys had a great time too, besides the Black Friday experience.