Saturday, April 4, 2009

General Conference tradition


When Dave and I were first married we lived in a little trailer in Provo. Dave was going to school full -time, teaching part-time at the MTC, and he was a counselor in the bishopric. I was a stay-at-home mama with a new baby. It was a busy and very POOR time. Some of my favorite memories come from this time, so that's proof that it isn't money that makes us happy. We were so poor that we never bought treats or went out to eat or anything like that.

When conference came Dave surprised me and bought a box of Reese's Puffs cereal. We ate the entire box during the afternoon session of Saturday conference.


Since then we have bought Reese's Puffs cereal for every conference, and since we have many more kids we let them choose a few other boxes of sugar cereal. We have money to buy treats now, but we NEVER buy sugar cereal! Now my kids get so excited for conference. Sure, the cereal is yummy.....but what we all love is that we're sitting around together eating, laughing, and enjoying great family time. We talk about what the speaker is saying. The kids play GC Bingo and work on their little busy-packets. The older kids take notes on the talks. We sing with the Tabernacle Choir.


Great family tradition!!!!


good things:
Elder Hales talk - it was just for me!
feeling inspired
a living prophet

7 comments:

Megan Jo Eddie said...

I loved Elder Hales talk as well. It brought me to tears several times. What a humble servant of the Lord. I'm so glad we have righetous men to lead us. You are also the FUNNEST mom in the world. I hope I can become half of what you are. Love you

Erin said...

That's such an awesome tradition. I think we need to try something like that with our kids...they would love it. You're so awesome and I love all the fun stuff I learn about you every time I read your blog. My new little thing is gonna be....I wanna be, I wanna be like Angela!!!

Gina Hallam said...

All of the talks were absolutely amazing!!!! Elder Hales talk was for us as well :) There were a lot of the talks all day that were geared towards those things we have been praying about.

Heidi said...

Elder Hales talk was my favorite too - and President Monson's. We have so much to be thankful for and love how conference fills me with hope and optimism.
Heidi

Carissa J said...

That's cool, Ang. I didn't know you guys did that. I love those Reese's Puffs. Jeez! Now I'm hungry :)

Tamara said...

What a fun family tradition. Yes - I remember being that poor too!
Don't you LOVE Conference? :o)

Sarah said...

That's great!!!

We never had sugar cereal growing up but we always got whatever box we wanted for Easter. He he