Monday, May 11, 2009

thoughts on Mother's Day


My oldest daughter, Akayla, spoke in Sacrament meeting today. She gave a beautiful and sweet tribute to her two grandma's and to me. She is growing up to be such an amazing young woman.

So many thoughts have gone through my head today......

I thought of my mom. She has taught me so many things. There are too many things I love about her to mention. I am who I am because of her.

I thought of Dave's mom. Her son calls her lovely. It's a perfect word to describe who she is.

I thought of 14 years ago.......
I always wanted to be a mom more than anything else in the world! After my husband and I had been married only a month I was crying and crying because I wasn't pregnant yet (I actually was, which is why I was crying and crying!!). I just wanted a baby!

I remember the first time they put Akayla in my arms. She was so beautiful and perfect. I became a different person that day. A mom. I never knew how much my mom loved me until I was a mom.

The past 14 years have brought 6 more beautiful children. Each one has changed me. Being a mom is the hardest thing I've ever done, but it is by far the most rewarding experience of my life!

After Adam and Eve were sent away from the garden Eve said to Adam "Were it not for our transgression we never should have had seed". I have always thought that was a profound statement from our first mother. She longed for children.

I have always had that longing deep inside. I have longed for each one of my children, and my arms ache for another baby right now.

I think the hardest day of my life will be when I can't have babies any more. I know the circle of life has to continue, but I'm not ready for my babies to grow up and leave my home. I love things just the way they are.

Time is moving too fast!!!

We didn't do anything amazing yesterday. No breakfast in bed with flowers on the tray (9:00 church....are you kidding?! We barely had time to snarf down a bowl of cereal!). No fancy presents (except the blossoming cherry tree I picked myself the day before and said was my mother's day gift!). No perfect children (unfortunately, my children fight sometimes!). In fact, we all played around in the living room laughing and talking. My kids made sweet cards and letters for me. We cooked an AWESOME dinner all together and had the missionaries over to enjoy it. We talked to my brother on his mission. We called our grandma's and moms. We watched a movie together. We had ice cream. We enjoyed the smell of the grill and artichokes cooking on the stove.

It was a perfect day! I felt loved and appreciated.



Happy Mothers Day!

good things:
stuffed artichokes
love letters from my kids
watching your children grow up

6 comments:

Annie and Family said...

Sounds like a lovely Mother's Day! Ang, you are one of the mothers that I think about and try be like. (You know those WWJD bracelets? well, Mine is kind of a WW-Ang-D) ha ha. No seriously, you are amazing and I hope I can be a mom like you some day.

Annie

The Youngs said...

Aloha Angela. Happy Belated Mother's Day! I am glad you have had a wonderful day. I want to be like you when I grow up!!! :-)

Megan Jo Eddie said...

You are the greatest mom! So patient and loving. I miss yu so much in primary. Hope I can join in Relief Society sometime soon. Glad you had a great day and I can't wait to see your cherry blossom tree. PRETTY!

The Checks Mix said...

I can't imagine my oldest some day giving a talk in church! Wow! She sounds like she is turning out wonderful. What a great feeling for you! You are a great mom!

Charity

This is Us! said...

Wow, what a great thing for Akayla to have given a talk! I'm glad your Mother's Day was a wonderful one!

The Ridings said...

Funny; Jordan and I spoke on Mother's day also.