Wednesday, January 16, 2013

thoughts on blogging

My very first blog was published (here) on October 30, 2007.

My kids were so little - and it feels like forever ago!

I was immediately drawn to blogging because..... though I enjoy scrap-booking - I am WAY WAY WAY behind, and the mess and time it takes is very overwhelming for me!

I also really enjoyed the connection with friends and family all over the country.

I've always been a people watcher, and blogging allows me to peek into the homes of people I love (or people I'm really curious about), and watch the way they do things.

I am fully aware that most people put their very best self on the internet and hide anything bad - I guess that's why I especially enjoy reading blogs of friends who are REAL and GENUINE.

It's not as fun to read blogs that are only a travelogue or that are only written on special occasions.  Everything seems rosy and perfect in those blogs!

The sad thing for me is that many people just stop writing.

I've talked to friends who quit because they thought no-one was reading their blog.

I admit at the beginning I really enjoyed the comments and feedback from my friends.  I often wrote for the feedback (like this post),  (I still love reading the comments from this one).  It does seem like back then everyone commented more - including me.  Now I just read.  Hmmm....  But that's not why I write.

I have written over 500 posts in the past 5 years, and when I look back and read them I AM SO GRATEFUL I have kept up with it!

So many beautiful memories and thoughts that are recorded.

So many photographs - some beautiful, some funny, and some ridiculous.

Someday we will print them into a book - but online is good enough for me right now.

I just feel blessed, and it's important to be reminded sometimes.

I do admit that I'm happy people read my blog  - it's kind of nice to know people are interested in what I have to say.  I have reached 85,500 views (and that is not including my own page-views).  Last month alone there were over 4, 650 views.  Many of the people who regularly read are from other countries.  Just an interesting fact.  Is it something I should be worried about?  Is it really possible for crazy stalkers to find my family after reading our blog?  Definitely something I should be considering.

the map of our visitors.....how cool are all those dots all over the place?!!!

I've wondered what people think when they read my blog - weirdo with the huge family?

I have actually gotten some interesting e-mails recently that I intend to blog about very soon - very nice actually.  Even if people do think I'm a weirdo they are interested in the way we do things around here.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on blogging.

It's ok if no-one reads, and I don't need the feedback either (not that I mind it of course!).

I write for myself and my family!


good things:
one of my favorite past-times
long pretty pony tails
hot pero

4 comments:

Annie and Family said...

Ang, you're the one who got me into blogging and when i first started reading this post I thought you were getting ready to say that you were done. Glad you're still sticking with it. I love the fun, crazy and amazing things you share!

Erika said...

I LOVE reading your blog. You make me want to be a better mom and house-keeper. Your kids are gorgeous, and you are so easy to love!

Jill said...

I love your blog! I am a blog stalker--Megan Eddie is one of my best friends, we grew up together and I stumbled upon your blog through hers. I always love your good things list at the end.

Lisa said...

Amen. I blog for me. It's so fun to go back and read and remember everything. I try to capture everything but it's hard. There is so much more of everyday life that I wish I recorded. You are great at that Ang!