Sunday, December 7, 2014

JOY to EVERYONE this Christmas!

I've been having a really hard time finding my Christmas spirit this year.

Partly because I'm just missing this.....



It's really weird - usually by this time of December I have all of my shopping done and my presents wrapped.

I usually have all the stocking stuff ready, and I've even gotten teacher and neighbor gifts ready.

We usually start doing our 25 Days of Christmas tradition by now.

But this year I just haven't been feeling it.

Dave and I finally did a little Christmas shopping last night, we've started listening to Christmas music, and we've watched a few Christmas movies.

But today is when I finally caught it!

At church today so many wonderful people talked about the Savior, and in our Relief Society (women's group) lesson we talked about having Joy.

We were asked what things we would need to accomplish by December 25th (only 17 days left folks!) to be truly happy.

I thought back on past Christmas's, and the ones that stick out in my mind as being perfect - didn't have anything to do with the gifts that were purchased or the thousands of other things that are on my list to "check off" in preparation for Christmas morning.

The thing that made those Christmas's perfect was the time I spent with my family serving someone else.

I've had a nagging in the back of my head ever since October General Conference...... I prayed before it started to know what I needed to do this year to become more like my Savior.

I figured my answer would be something like - read my scriptures more earnestly, or to make my prayers more meaningful.

I was surprised by the answer, and how strongly it came to me.

I felt a great need to serve others more.
It is only when we love God and Christ with all of our hearts, souls, and minds that we are able to share this love with our neighbors through acts of kindness and service—the way that the Savior would love and serve all of us if He were among us today.
When this pure love of Christ—or charity—envelops us, we think, feel, and act more like Heavenly Father and Jesus would think, feel, and act. Our motivation and heartfelt desire are like unto that of the Savior.
And because I have a loving Father in Heaven who is ever so patient with me..... I keep getting little reminders here and there to seek out His children who need love and service that I can give them.

Serving others makes me truly feel the love the Savior has for me and for everyone.

My children have been so excited to join in, and we've come up with a wonderful family project that will truly make this season a joyful one.

And this song, my very favorite Christmas song (though few have heard it), always makes me so happy.

I love the reminder that Jesus Christ saved us all.

I love seeing all of God's beautiful children, and I can't help but feel the love He has for each one of us.
Truly the reason for the season.

JOY TO EVERYONE THIS CHRISTMAS.........


good things:
songs that make you cry
teaching
good reminders

1 comment:

Erika said...

You are such a good example. Thanks for blogging! We so need to see you as we live closer now than we ever have! Merry Christmas!!!